Consider this: Do you find yourself chaotically searching through files or clicking between countless open windows? Do your patients sign-in for appointments with pen and paper? If so, now may be the perfect time to plan ahead and make a commitment to achieve faster, more efficient workflows in your practice.
You probably already know that there is a way to eliminate inefficiencies – such as antiquated servers or paper charting – with state-of-the-art practice management technology, like Eyefinity EHR and Eyefinity Practice Management, software from VSP Global®. What you may not know is how fast and seamless the transition can be.
Read about how Dr. Veronica Barber of Vista Point Eye Care in California transitioned to her new Eyefinity solutions in just 30 days and why she says it was totally worth the effort.
On the Fast Track to a Better Practice
Like many other Eye Care Providers (ECPs), Dr. Barber had to change the way she ran her business in the face of COVID-19. In doing so, she saw an opportunity to do something she had wanted to do for several months.
“I knew I wanted to try Eyefinity in 2019, but I was hesitant to pull the trigger because the task of transitioning to a new software and training my whole team was daunting,” said Dr. Barber. “When business started to drop due to the pandemic, I knew it was time.”
The time to transition to a new practice management software can typically take 90-120 days, but Dr. Barber was certain her team could do it faster, and with Eyefinity’s help, they did!
“The Eyefinity team was great to work with. They even provided a customized checklist and timeline to help me stay on track with my 30-day goal,” said Dr. Barber. “Thanks to their team, the training modules, and the online resources, I was able to hit my goal without feeling stressed or overwhelmed.”
Dr. Barber changed her practice opening hours to 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. giving her more time to devote to implementing the Eyefinity Practice Management system. She also had to get creative with how she was teaching her staff about the new system since they needed to social distance. To make sure everyone was staying on track, Dr. Barber created to-do lists for her team and allowed them to work from home and participate in online web tutorials and remote training.
“We’re very proud of the level of service Eyefinity’s onboarding and training team provides, which is significantly higher than other practice management companies. We understand that the transition period to a new system may be tedious and overwhelming,” said Charlie Biegel, Vice President and COO at Eyefinity. “The faster we can help get practices up and running, the faster we can help them realize the amazing benefits that Eyefinity products provide.”
Dr. Barber has the following tips for other practices on how to help make a quick and smooth transition a reality:
- Remember why you were inspired to make the switch and be confident that the new system will be worth the work.
- Add time to your staff’s schedule to allow them to learn and perform admin duties. 1-2 hours per shift depending on your timeline.
- If possible, schedule training when it won’t interfere with open hours and patient care (consider ‘opening’ an hour later to give yourself time to devote to training in the morning).
- Provide a quiet space where staff can do training uninterrupted. A spare exam room is great for this.
- Remember that staff training is as important as your training. You want your team members to feel confident and informed in front of patients while you’re in the exam room.
- Finally, stay committed to working with the trainers and sticking to established goals. A little hard work now will pay dividends in the future.
While the pandemic ultimately helped convince Dr. Barber it was time to update her practice management system, she says it is still something that is worth doing in a ‘normal’ business climate.
“It’s not about your patient load, it’s about your commitment to putting aside a little bit of time every day and working with your employees to make sure you have a roadmap in place for everyone to follow. It takes some time, but it is so worth it. I would highly recommend Eyefinity to any other eye care provider,” she added.
Everyone needs a little help sometimes, especially when learning new things. Whether you need to learn about the ethereal ‘cloud’, you have questions about integrating your instrumentation equipment, or you need to go over billing: Eyefinity’s Customer Care team is one of the highest ranked in the industry. Eyefinity has live support throughout the United States, with offices in California, Illinois, Michigan, and Louisiana.
“One of the best parts about switching to Eyefinity is the support from the customer care team,” said Dr. Barber. “When I needed to call for tech support, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a live representative from the company’s headquarters in California on the phone. This is vastly different from my experiences with other companies.”
Eyefinity has been rated the #1 Choice in Practice Management Software Companies numerous times by Eye Vote Reader’s Choice Awards. Since 2004, Eyefinity has also achieved accreditation from the Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission (EHNAC) and received 98 percent on the 2020 EHNAC accreditation audit. The accreditation program recognizes excellence in health data processing and ensures compliance with industry established standards and HIPAA regulations.
Not only is Eyefinity there to help along the way with solution educators, implementation consultants, and online playbooks, but the software is compatible with all the critical vendors that eye care professionals use every day, like tonometers, retinal imaging machines, world pay readers, and Marco products.
“Eyefinity helps me look good in front of my patients. With one-click tasks, I can spend more time speaking with my patients instead of filling out charts or forms. Not only is the software clean and user friendly, but it also helps improve productivity on the back end too,” said Dr. Barber. “All the equipment talks to each other, so our efficiency and our patient experience are both way up.”
Here are more of the great benefits of Eyefinity:
- VSP Interface – Perform bulk eligibility and authorizations, automatic reimbursements, out-of-pocket calculations, claim submissions directly from Eyefinity Practice Management, and submit Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA).
- Automated Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) – Reduce payment posting time from days to hours with auto-reconciliation and line item matching.
- Integrated Online Scheduling – Enhances the patient experience through real-time online scheduling, online forms, and a 24/7 patient portal.
- Order Management – Use time saving barcode scanning for order processing and lab order tracking, shipping and receiving.
- Private Lab and Contact Lens Ordering – Track orders, print packing slips, and remove dual entry with electronic submission.
- Billing Module – Submit claims with the click of a button.
- Automatic Updates – Always be on the latest version and eliminate worries about server updates and maintenance.
- Data Security – Data is safely stored on the Amazon® cloud—the leading HIPAA-compliant cloud-data storage provider.
- 24/7 Access – Access the scheduler or patient records from anywhere there is Internet access.
“At the end of the day, it’s all about laying the groundwork today, for a better practice tomorrow,” said Dr. Barber.
If COVID-19 has taught practice owners anything, it’s that preparation is everything. Prepare for tomorrow’s uncertainty today, by transitioning to a system that streamlines daily operations, frees up valuable staff time and resources, and allows you to work anywhere anytime through cloud technology. Best of all: Eyefinity enhances you and your patients’ experiences in your practice.